Roof Coatings: Cost-Efficient Restoration Solution
The 2022 roofing season is going to be quite different. Massive industry backlogs rolled over from 2021 and will continue to slow things down for all businesses in North America. Is there a quick, cost-efficient way to restore and waterproof your existing roof? Look into roof coatings, a proven and dependable solution that protects your roof from more than just water.
Roof coatings are often used for:
- Preventing water intrusion
- Repairing cracks and other damage to roof systems
- Increasing the energy efficiency of buildings
- Refreshing the roof's look and lasting longer due to high UV stability of coatings
- Complex, odd-shaped roofs with hard to reach areas
- Corporate branding -- when you need an exact color match
- When other solutions may interrupt daily operations
Applied as a liquid, coatings allow fast and straightforward installations and do not require expensive equipment. This method allows you to restore your existing roof instead of a complete replacement. Let's look at a few main types of roof coatings out there:
- Acrylics: Extremely durable, reflective and can be easily installed over modified bitumen, built-up, concrete, metal or single-ply installations, extending the life of your existing roof. Acrylic coatings may drastically cut your energy bills by reflecting the majority of the sun's heat while eliminating any points of failure on your facility's roof. Advanced acrylic coatings may also contain a biocide that prevents algae and mildew growth.
- Silicones: Premium waterproofing product with UV resistance, bio growth resistance and fire resistance. Ideal for high-moisture environments due to their fast-drying abilities. Silicone coatings are well known for their long-term performance and flexibility during heating or cooling. For example, if your area exhibits shifts in temperatures between day and night, silicone coatings move with your roofs expansion and contraction.
- Fluoropolymers: Are known for their reflectivity, weather resistance, color stability, algae resistance and a tough, enamel-like finish. This translates into potential savings in energy bills and minimal maintenance costs to property owners.
- Urethanes: Versatile and highly resistant to chemicals, impact and abrasion. They are ideal for harsh environments or manufacturing processes involving chemicals. Urethane coatings can be used on both vertical and horizontal primed concrete, steel, iron, wood, fiberglass and polyurethane foam surfaces.
As you can see, roof coatings are an excellent alternative to complete roof replacements and an option to consider with this year's roofing industry backlogs. Coatings will allow you to get your roof back to being watertight while extending its service life. You can save money, increase energy efficiency and improve the safety of your roof without having to do a full roof replacement. Interested in more information? Complete the form to your right and one of our roofing professionals will help you navigate the options and find the best coating solution for your building.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.