Five Keys to Finding a Reputable Commercial Roofing Contractor
Your facility's roof is the first line of defense against the harsh elements of nature. Its role in protecting your business assets and your associates is of vital importance. Therefore, when partnering with a commercial roofing contractor, here are five key considerations that should be taken into account to ensure an informed decision is made and your investment dollars are prudently spent:
- ✔ The Contractor’s History: If there is a single point that might indicate the reputation of a contractor, it very well might be the number of years they’ve been in business. Contractors that consistently exhibit poor workmanship and /or customer service typically don’t stand the test of time. Review the company’s leadership team and their collective years of experience - success mostly starts at the top and trickles its way down through the ranks. Additionally, take a look at the percentage of their long term employees - it's usually a good indication of a successful, vibrant company.
- ✔ The Contractor’s Financial Stability: Is the company fiscally sound or is it riddled in debt? Does it have the wherewithal to stand behind a warranty claim if deemed necessary and will they even be in business in the years to come? To get a clearer picture, ask what the company’s annual revenue, net worth, total assets and working capital currently is. Other items to inquire about would be their provision for warranty expense, what their insurance coverage is as well as their bonding capacity. Does the company show positive growth year after year and do they continually reinvest in the training of their workforce while implementing new technologies to stay ahead of the competition?
- ✔ The Contractor’s Safety Plan: In construction,especially roofing, it is imperative to work with a roofing company that makes the safety of its customers and its own associates priority number one. Will the contractor offer a detailed safety inspection of your roof’s work site and develop a comprehensive safety plan for your project? Will the plan be thoroughly communicated to their workers as well as your company? Do their crews have ongoing training in first aid, CPR, OSHA, proper procedures and the proper use of all equipment? Additionally, be sure to inquire about their safety Incidence rate which measures a company's performance as determined by the number of injuries for every 100 employees who work 40 hours per week, 50 weeks per year. A contractor with a rate that is lower than the industry average of 3.6 is a huge plus and should be a key component of what you look for.
- ✔ The Contractor’s Backlog: A word to the wise is that a good contractor’s project backlog is typically 6 weeks, so any contractor who promises to start your major roofing project in a week or two should probably give you pause to wonder why they have no other projects in their pipeline. There is typically a four to six week timeline from a purchase order being issued until actual construction begins [weather, environmental conditions and material availability being construction variables]. Once construction does begin, it may take several weeks or months to complete the project depending on the size, scope and complexity of the roof.
- ✔ Ask the Contractor for References: Word of mouth is the greatest form of advertising. When a customer is delighted with the work of a given roofing contractor, they’ll be happy to share the details of their good experience. On the contrary, if a contractor’s work is problematic, negative reviews are sure to ensue, by word of mouth as well as social media. A confident contractor that is proud of his company’s reputation should be happy to provide references, photos and customer testimonials along with addresses and company contacts.
While they may not encompass all aspects, these five considerations aim to assist you in navigating your decision-making process as you seek the ideal roofing contractor to collaborate with, both now and in the future. At CentiMark, North America's leading commercial roofing contractor, we are here for all your commercial roofing needs with unmatched experience and bandwith. When you partner with us, you can rely on our 55+ years of commercial roofing experience, over 100 locations from coast to coast and over 300 skilled crews. Our strong financial stability and commitment to safety ensure your peace of mind on every roofing project you have with us. With a typical six-week project backlog, we prioritize quality over haste.
Choose CentiMark for your roofing needs, and experience roofing solutions built to endure and unmatched customer service. To learn more about our capabilities, background and how we can help you, please visit our About us page. If you are a national brand, please check out this page to learn more about roof portfolio management options and benefits available for you. Need help with your roof? Contact us!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.