Denver Green Roofs Initiative
The voters of Denver passed the Denver Green Roofs Initiative. The new code will have an impact on any commercial building within the city of Denver. The code reads: Every building, building addition and any roof replacement of a building, with a gross floor area of 25,000 square feet or greater, constructed after January 1, 2018 shall include a green roof or combination of green roof and solar energy collection.
Here are some of the key excerpts from the Denver Green Roofs Initiative:
• Every building with a gross floor area of 25,000 square feet or greater or a building addition that causes the building to become 25,000 or greater constructed after January 1, 2018 shall include a green roof with a coverage of available roof space in accordance with the following:
|Gross Floor Area (Size of Building)||Coverage of Available|
Roof Space (Size of Green Roof)
|25,000 – 49,999 square feet||20%|
|50,000 – 99,999 square feet||30%|
|100,000 – 149,999 square feet||40%|
|150,000 – 199,999 square feet||50%|
|200,000 square feet or greater||60%|
• No person shall construct a green roof or cause a green roof to be constructed unless a permit has been issued by the Community Planning and Development Department.
• A combination green roof and Solar Energy collection may be used to fulfill the requirements of the Coverage of Available Roof Space so long as the combination is no less than 30% green roof and retains or collects for re-use at least the first .25 inches from each rainfall or 50 percent of annual rainfall volume falling on the roof through systems that incorporate roof surfaces.
• The green roof and solar energy collection requirements must be meet or the maximum amount of coverage possible so that major structural alterations are not required.
• The code does not apply to industrial buildings or a building addition to an industrial building with a gross floor area of 25,000 square feet or greater. However, the building or addition shall include:
○ A Green Roof with a minimum coverage of available roof space that is equal to the lesser of 25,000 square feet or 10 percent of the available roof space of the building or addition; or;
○ A roof that uses Solar Energy Collection for 80% of the available roof space that retains or collects for re-use at least the first .25 inches from each rainfall or 50 percent of annual rainfall volume falling on the roof through systems that incorporate roof surfaces.
• Every green roof shall be maintained in accordance with the maintenance plan required in the Denver Green Roof Construction Standard.
Make sure you are aware of how this new code will impact your roofing decisions. To read more about the initiative, visit www.denvergreenroof.org.
To talk through your options, complete the form to the right and a Denver Representative will contact you.
Roof Material Prices are Increasing due to the Hurricanes
Unprecedented damage has occurred in the United States and Puerto Rico this year due to extreme weather events with damages estimated in the billions. Though the full extent of the damage is still unclear, price increases and shortages of raw building materials are expected.
So, what does this mean for you?
Typically, building material prices rise following natural disasters. Based on the historical example of Hurricane Katrina, shipping and material costs will increase while availability to these resources will decrease.
We are committed to protecting our customers from this as much as possible while continuing to provide you with the best roofing and flooring solutions. We know that your roof is one of your company’s largest investments. To learn how to avoid potential price increases and material shortages throughout the new year, contact us today.
To discuss your roofing or flooring project fill out the form to the right and a representative will contact you to discuss possible solutions.
Winter is on its way!
What is your rooftop snow removal plan?
Winter can be a harsh season for your roof. In addition to being one of your building’s most valuable assets, your roof can also be one of the most vulnerable. For this reason snow can have a number of negative effects on your roof. The additional weight accompanied by the melting and freezing of snow and water can lead to serious damage to the structure of your building. Here are three ways snow can affect your roof:
1. Snow Load: 12 inches of snow weighs approximately five pounds, and that additional weight can put a lot of extra stress on your structure. When the wind blows, the snow drifts, which could result in roof problems.
2. Ice Dams: If snow melts and then re-freezes layers of ice can form around drains or at the edge of the roof. This inhibits the ability of the roof to drain properly. Once a layer of ice has formed, it may not melt quickly which can disrupt water flow off the roof causing dangerous weight on the roof.
3. Roof Cracking/Leaks: If excess water is accumulating on your roof it can create leaks or weaken flashing and coping areas by expanding as it re-freezes.
A novice snow removal team will not understand the complexities and hazards on your roof and can oftentimes do more harm to your roof than good. Don’t put your people or property at risk. Make sure you are signed up for CentiMark’s Snow Removal Services.
Professional Rooftop Snow Removal Services:
- Service anytime, anywhere - 24/7 emergency snow and ice removal
- CentiMark associates are trained in snow removal
- The CentiMark network is equipped with all the necessary resources to ensure all customer needs are met
- Understanding of interior structures such as drop ceiling tiles and computer cables that could be affected
- Use of proper snow removal equipment and techniques to avoid damage to the existing roof
- Experienced with roof repairs if they are needed
The Steps CentiMark Takes to Ensure Proper Safety and Removal of Snow:
- Underdeck inspection paying attention for deflection
- Placement of flag markers to ensure skylights and other projections are identified before removing snow
- Provide clear passage to all drains and ensure all gutters are clear
- Clear all roof units and vents
- Special attention to snowdrift areas such as parapets, firewalls, penthouses and elevation changes
Preventative Snow and Ice Solutions:
Snow Guards – For sloped roofs, they hold the snow at the edge or peak of a roof allowing the snow to melt gradually. This prevents a massive amount of snow from sliding off the roof and causing unsafe conditions on the ground below.
Heat Tape – This can be installed in gutters and downspouts to help control ice build-up at the edge of the roof.
Demand for repair surges after severe weather hits. This can mean extended wait times for emergency service. Make sure you are signed up for CentiMark’s Snow Removal Services to receive priority scheduling. Just read through the Snow Removal Waiver, sign and return it and you will be at the top of our list.
Learn more about preparing your roof for winter with an inspection. Complete the form to the right and a representative will contact you.
Why choose CentiMark/QuestMark in 2018?
Your roof and floors take the brunt of everyday activities and are your building’s first line of defense; make sure you give them the support they need to protect you. Our mission is to keep your building watertight and safe for you, your assets and employees all in concert with your regular business operations. We focus on workmanship and attention to detail. That’s why we back our work up with a $14 million provision for warranty expense.
Before we begin your project we provide a thorough assessment pinpointing items related to your roofing or flooring system, documenting defects, points of deterioration, compromised accessories and assemblies. This inspection gives you a complete evaluation on future potential water intrusion problems and provides you with the best repair or replacement solutions. We then develop a site specific safety plan customized specifically to meet your business needs. As we work on your project you can utilize our online management tool, MyCentiMark/MyQuestMark to track your project at any time.
Here are the benefits you receive when partnering with CentiMark:
• Free, thorough assessment to include:
○ Before and after photographs
○ Written assessment
○ Repair recommendations
○ Cost estimates
• Project of Work Statement
• 24/7 Emergency leak repair
• Free Floor Demos
• Re-roof and floor solutions for every building
• Service & maintenance programs for roofing and flooring
• Site specific safety plans for each project
Our service and repair crews at CentiMark and QuestMark are experienced in all major roof and floor systems. When you partner with us we’ll coordinate the logistics, installation and scheduling with you in mind.
We want to help secure your assets and keep you and your employees safe so you can focus on your business with peace of mind. We have a local network of offices in your community supported through the resources of a large corporation, and are there for you with solutions whenever and wherever you need us.
P.S. For all your do-it-yourself project needs visit our online catalog.
Have a roofing or flooring project you need to discuss? Complete the form and a representative will contact you.
The CentiMark Difference Video
QuestMark's Fall Sale!
The QuestMark online catalog offers a wide variety of do-it-yourself (DIY) products including floor patches, coatings, floor maintenance products and the tools and accessories needed to get the job done.
In addition to all the products available through the catalog, you can also find:
• SDS sheets
• Technical data sheets
• Product directions
• Educational videos
• Spend reporting by product or location
Treat your floors to a gift this year. Use the promo code SHUTDOWN10 to receive 10% off our entire catalog for all of your D.I.Y projects this holiday season!
Have a flooring project you need to discuss? Complete the form and a representative will contact you.